Saturday, September 27, 2014

Origami USA - Origami By Children

OrigamiUSA - OBC Gallery


First I will apologize for writing this article so late after the event. This is about my success in having my model to be selected as one of the 52 models worldwide for the Origami by Children(OBC) Gallery.


I decided to give it a shot after I received an award at the Origami Palooza 2013 at San Francisco JapanTown. I entered Satoshi Kamiya’s famous Divine Dragon, and I won a prize for “Complexity”. You can find that blog post here. Soon after, I submitted one of my own designs, the Mounted Knight, for OBC. This year's models can be found here.


I designed this model by using traditional bases and altering it to work for my model. I combined two bases: the frog base and the bird base. From this, I split flaps, sinked flaps, and created the model.


Origami USA is a non-profit, and volunteer based organization that is devoted to origami. Every year, the host the largest origami convention in the world, OBC being one of the galleries in it. The Paper, their magazine, says, "OrigamiUSA's mission is to share the joy and appreciation of paperfolding, preserve its history, nurture its growth, bring people together, and encourage community among paperfolders." You can find their website here.


When I received the letter informing me that I my model had been selected, I had some mixed feelings. I didn’t feel surprised, because I was confident that my model had been good enough to be selected. I also felt happy mainly because of the year-long membership that came with it.


OrigamiUSA membership gives me two origami magazine subscriptions, The Paper and The Fold. Also, I get discounts when buying stuff at the Origami Source. I can use the Lending Library, which pretty much means I can borrow books from people, and I can do a lot of stuff others cannot.

This success has inspired me to keep working hard on origami. Also, I am extremely happy and proud, and have been enjoying membership benefits. I will continue to innovate, and of course, brag to all my friends about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment