Saturday, August 4, 2018

Mushrooms and Jellyfish

Back in May, I came up with a Mushroom design.
The big mushroom is folded from printer paper, and the small ones are from the bottom pad of a pack of post-its.
It was a very simple design: sink the big tip of an off-center frog base, then hide the excess flaps. I'm very surprised that I've never come across any similar designs. I'm very happy with how the mushrooms came out.

Then I thought, why hide the excess flaps? Is there any way I could use them? Jellyfish have domes like mushrooms, but have lots of tentacles; could I modify my mushroom into a jellyfish?

My first attempt had four long tentacles and four tiny ones.

Please forgive the quality; I fished some of these folds out of storage bins of forgotten folds.
It was folded by sinking a frog base. The small tentacles were barely visible, and the remaining long tentacles seemed too few to be believable.

My next attempt had eight equally long tentacles.
This one was fished out of a storage bin too, please forgive the quality.
The base for this was a "merged" crane base. Essentially, there was four crane bases on one square: one in each quadrant. However, because all of the tentacles were the same length, it was easy for the inner tentacles to hide behind outer ones.

Finally, I arrived at a design I was happy with.
Folded from untreated tissue paper.
This version used a merged crane base as well. However, in order to lengthen the inner tentacles, I added a graft along the four sides of the square. This design had just the right size and number of tentacles in my eyes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Jelly_cc11.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment